what happens if a dog eats chocolate

Best answer


Pancreatitis

People also ask


  • Is it bad for dogs to eat chocolate?

  • The fact remains, however, that chocolate is toxic to dogs, and it will make them sick if they eat very much at all. There are also studies that show repeated exposure to even small amounts of theobromine, the culprit in chocolate, can eventually contribute to heart failure.

  • What should I do if my dog ate a chocolate chip?

  • Realistically, if your dog happens to eat a single chocolate chip, there is nothing that needs to be done. Keep an eye on the dog for a few hours. You may need to let them outside more, and it is possible they could vomit or get some diarrhea. Just monitor the dog鈥檚 condition and try to make sure the dog gets no more chocolate chips.

  • How much dark chocolate will kill a dog?

  • A good quality 500g bar of dark chocolate can contain as much as 4000 mg of theobromine. That鈥檚 more than enough to kill a 30kg dog such as a Labrador. But even lower quality grades of dark chocolate are dangerous to dogs.

  • How long does it take for chocolate to affect dogs?

  • Chocolate poisoning mainly affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Dog ate chocolate symptoms usually occur between four and 24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate. The effect and signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs depends on the amount eaten and the size of the breed.