why cant dogs eat chocolate

Best answer


Chocolate is toxic to dogs becauseit contains theobromine and to a lesser extent,caffeine. Humans metabolize theobromine easily,but dogs don’t. Dogs process theobromine and caffeine slowly,which allows these toxic compounds to build up in their systems and cause clinical signs associated with chocolate toxicity.

People also ask


  • What happens if a dog ate chocolate?

  • Chocolate toxicity is a common problem seen in dogs, and it often stems from accidental ingestion. While chocolate is toxic to dogs, the level of toxicity depends on the type of chocolate, how much they ate and how big the dog is. Let’s take a closer look at what happens if a dog eats chocolate and what you should do.

  • What kind of chocolate is safe for dogs to eat?

  • The chocolate that is most toxic to dogs is cocoa powder, followed by unsweetened baker’s chocolate, semisweet chocolate, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate. White milk chocolate and white chocolate have the lowest levels of theobromine, therefore, they are the safest.

  • Is choclet toxic to dogs?

  • There is an ingredient called theobromine that is toxic to dogs. It’s important to never give your dog chocolate! 🙂 Wow! I did not know that!Can hamters eat choclet

  • Is dark chocolate bad for dogs Heartbeats?

  • Dark chocolate. Both dark chocolate and baking chocolate can be harmful to dogs in much small amounts than milk or white chocolate. The symptoms can be severe: Morgan says fast and irregular heartbeats are likely to occur.